Sunday, February 19, 2012

Ephrata Trip

We took a weekend trip up to Ephrata and Moses Lake a couple weekends ago for a special family occasion. Our nephew Seth had the opportunity to baptize his wife Ashley.  They have been married since last January (2011).  I wish we had a picture of the event, but someone (me) was not prepared with a camera at the time.   

This is my favorite part of the 5 hour drive from our house to Ephrata-the Columbia River.  From the Columbia River Gorge:
to this view as we cross the Columbia River for a second time on Interstate 90 near Vantage:
 After the baptism, we went out for Mexican food as a family (table for 15)...it was really odd-looking in such a small town.  Then the boys gathered on the carpet in front of the fire for a game of Monopoly.  It was quite competitive, and took a few hours.   
 The next day, we took Julia out to see our farm near Quincy.  This sign is one we have passed for years, but it never became interesting to us, until we bought a farm that grows potatoes.
 Julia in front of the farm with Cascade Mountains in the distance.  (I called it the BACK of the Cascades, but I was quickly corrected by my brother-in-law, Joel, who told me that is the FRONT of the Cascades.  I guess it's all about perspective; therefore, I declare myself to be correct!)
The farm, in all it's winter "glory".  I really need to go sometime when there is something interesting growing on the ground.  Even in the summer with the alfalfa on the ground would be more exciting than in the winter with dormant alfalfa- which is exactly how I saw it last year too.
Jonathan got out and picked up trash that had blown onto the field....then left it in the trunk for the long ride home with us.  We forgot to get rid of it earlier, thank heavens the bag was air-tight.
Julia snapped this picture of the circle.  If you look close, you can see all 7 towers and the corner machine is extending off the picture on the right.
Joel is trying to explain to Jonathan how the irrigation system works...something about a pump...an irrigation canal....a right-of-way for the irrigation...all the things I don't know about farming.
This picture doesn't show the perspective as we had hoped.  Jonathan climbed into the irrigation canal to show how deep it is.  Just to be clear, if water were running through here, he would really have to be a good swimmer.
It was a fun weekend get-away.  Jourdan was unable to come due to a Scouting event.  (Thank you to Scott and Becky for letting him spend the night with them on Saturday.)  We were thankful to be able to attend Ashley's baptism and wish them the best as they work toward their next goal together.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Grandma Hale said...
"Sounds like a fun weekend to the farm and the family activities."

*Shan said...

Congratulations! And....umm...the farm looks...exciting?!?

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

What a cool event! Really neat. I love the pictures of the Gorge. I love the Columbia River and the Gorge. One of the most beautiful places ever.