Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The "Dream Team" Sings On!

This is one of my favorites for many reasons. First, I've always been a fan of the song - I'm a sucker for harmonies and a capella.  But this particular group of boys have made a lasting impression on me as a mom.  They're all seniors this year, and will be graduating next week (which means Jourdan will need to make new friends next fall), and by all expectations, shouldn't have taken the time to get to know my son, nor bothered to befriend him, but they did.  They're not just kind to him and pretend to notice his existence in the hallway, or during choir; they have truly taken him in as part of their group. 

Zac, Jon, Mason, and Jordan S. sang back up for Jourdan as he sang Billy Joel's "For the Longest Time".
Zac immediately made a connection to Jourdan, and they have had a fantastic year singing together.  (You'll remember him from many performances with Jourdan that I've posted The Confrontation Scene from Les Miserables and "Home".)  They're probably the only two boys with taste in music that is eclectic enough to include country music in the high school. He's been a surprisingly good advice-giver for Jourdan during their rides home from rehearsals.
 
Jon is an amazing singer, and no too full of himself to step in and help out with this group.
 
Mason (the red head) has been Jourdan's chauffeur repeatedly - we're glad we discovered that he only lives 2 blocks away.  And Mason's sister and Julia are really good friends (and they both also sing - so we look forward to many more musical numbers with this family).  They enjoyed being in the district honor choir together this fall.  (Mason sings the solo on  "Freedom Come" which I posted earlier this year.)
 
Jordan is just a really genuine person.  He's so comfortable in his skin.  We met him before school started last summer, and he offered our Jourdan advice on which classes to take, and how many AP classes are really feasible for someone involved in music and musical theater due to the time investments those activities require.  He's been a chaueffer as well this year.
 
Three (all but Jon) were in Oklahoma with him this spring; and Jordan (as the salesman Ali Hakim ) was amazing. They made the effort to include him, not because their mom's are my friends (I've only met two of them - and only briefly) or because they were "assigned" to be Jourdan's mentor...they just became friends.
 
 I am thankful, as a mom, for friends who take the time to know and appreciate my kids for who they are.  And, I've always said that if someone really wants to be my friend, the fastest way to my heart is through my kids.  (Diet coke is a close second - my enablers know who they are!)  These kids will never know how much I appreciate their influence on my son...  'cause who wants to have that kind of conversation with someone else's mom...that would be weird.  But I'll know!
Mason, Jon, Jourdan, Zac, and Jordan
 

1 comment:

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

I know EXACTLY what you mean about appreciating people who appreciate your kids. This is such a great post. That "For the Longest Time" was AWESOME!!! I could listen to that over and over. I love the photos of these guys, too. Good experiences, good memories.